TOP 3 MISTAKES TO AVOID WHEN HIRING A PET SITTER
Are You Making These Mistakes Hiring a Pet Sitter?
School’s out and it’s time to enjoy those long-anticipated vacations! Or maybe you need to go out of town for business (instead of pleasure). Or are you stuck in the office putting in extra hours or facing a full calendar of family commitments and events? Does your pet require regular medications or have other special needs that need timely attention? Is your pet losing out on quality time and attention?
Breathe easy, there’s a cure for these scenarios! A qualified pet sitter! Never leave your pet home alone again!
With a trusted and experienced professional on your side, your pet can maintain their routines and schedules despite whatever is going on in your life. This is especially important with our canine family members, but even our feline friends need care and companionship when life gets too busy!
Reasons (and benefits) to use a Pet Sitter
Sure, our pets may be able to “survive” without us, but it’s a fact that their physical and mental well-being can suffer from being left alone for extended periods of time.
- Young puppies are just not able to “hold it” for long periods of time. Also, keeping to a regular and consistent routine will enforce potty training faster.
- Senior pets often need to go out more often as well.
- Most pets will be more comfortable in their own home and environment following their regular routine with people they know. A pet or dog sitter can help your pet stay happy, comfortable and engaged in their own surroundings
- Pets who require medications need to stay on a regular dosing schedule.
- A pet sitter also acts as your eyes and ears when it comes to addressing any issues in your absence. Curious noses and paws can get our pets into trouble when they’re home alone and medical issues can also creep up during the day.
- Certain dog breeds (especially those with high energy and intelligence) do not tolerate long empty hours with little to no stimulation; including:
- Australian Shepherd
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- French Bulldog and others.
Isn’t it time to get your own pet sitter to ensure your pet’s well-being? But, before you do, learn about the 3 mistakes many pet guardians make when hiring a pet sitter.
Mistake #1: Cheaper is not always better
The pet sitting marketplace is full of options, but it’s “buyer beware” when shopping for a pet sitter you can trust with your priceless pet and home! Don’t be fooled by fancy apps and low prices (that seem too good to be true) when it comes to entrusting your beloved companion to any “pet sitter.” Always do your due diligence in protecting your pet and home. Remember the old adage, “you get what you pay for” and when it comes to your pet and your home, is there ever a reason to compromise on the quality of care and your peace of mind?
Mistake #2: There’s no substitute for experience
Ok, just about anyone can hold onto a leash and “walk” a dog or put down some fresh water and food for your cat. But, when it matters, there is no substitute for solid experience when caring for your pet. Pet sitters are your eyes and ears when you can’t be there. An experienced professional knows what to look for when it comes to your pet’s well-being and even more importantly, how to handle it.
Mistake #3: Never wait until the last minute
- Make sure you’re getting the professional you want by scheduling as soon as possible.
- If you’re using a company with a team of pet sitters, ask if they will send the same pet sitter every time to ensure your pet is happy and comfortable with someone they know and trust. (With Gaithersburg Pet Sitters, your pet will always see a familiar face!)
- Always interview potential pet sitters face-to-face (called a “meet-and-greet”), check their references and see for yourself how your pet reacts – and interacts – with the potential sitter. Not every sitter is good with every pet. Make sure you and your pet are comfortable with the pet sitter you ultimately choose.
- For your protection – and that of your pet – make sure the pet sitter you choose is well-experienced, licensed and insured. (We are!)
Ensure your pet’s ultimate comfort and safety by taking the time to carefully choose an experienced pet sitter who will love your pet as much as you do!